Saturday, September 13, 2014

M is for My Mother!


    People say that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Well, I wanted to tell you about the tree from which I fell: My mom. 

    My mom is turning 70 tomorrow and with that comes a chance to reflect back on some of the ways my mother has influenced me in becoming who I am. 

    Most people who meet me will tell you I have a big heart and am a very compassionate person. Well, that didn’t happen by accident.  My mother taught me the importance of being kind and helpful to others first hand when she brought a lady named Martha into our lives.

    My mother saw Martha one day walking home with her heavy bags in her aging hands and my mom pulled over and offered her a ride. So grateful for the kindness, Martha  invited my mother into her modest basement apartment for some tea and a friendship developed. 

    My mom helped Martha out in a number of ways bringing her food, giving her money, just being with her before she passed away years later, but she also helped me more than she might have known when she asked me to go spend time with Martha. I remember Martha always had something sweet for me to have with my tea as she told me stories and was just so happy to have someone to talk to that she never stopped talking from the moment I arrived till the time I had to go.  And every time I left, I remember going home feeling so happy that I had made her so happy. It brought me joy. Real joy.  

    Now I seek that kind of joy out in situations. I try to make someone’s day or say that special something someone needs to hear not because, I want them to say those things to me, but because it truly brings me joy to do so.  It makes me feel good.

    I found that being of service also made me feel good.  So, I looked for jobs where I could help people. From Little City Foundation working adults with developmental challenges to becoming a teacher and working with students who had math challenges, I have always found joy in giving of myself to others and I learned that from my mom.

     My mom to this day goes out of her way time and time again by putting the happiness of others before her own convenience. I can not tell you how many times my mom gave of herself never asking for anything in return. She has always been there for me.  My mom was my matron of honor at my wedding because she was my best friend for many years; sitting and crying with me when someone hurt my heart or standing and cheering when I performed on stage, she has always loved me from the bottom of her heart. She was my confidant and always knew what I needed sometimes before I did. She did that for me more times than I can even count. Making special meals for me or helping me pick out clothes as an overweight teenager because she knew deep down inside I wanted to look like all the other girls. Always thinking of me when she was out shopping and bringing me something special, which she probably got for a steal because in addition to all these wonder things my mom does, she sniffs out a bargain like nobody's business! I tell my father all the time how lucky he is to have married my mother, because she is a woman who is happy with very little.  She is not one to need new this or new that.  She knows where true happiness lies.

   She loved her family and put us all first always. She went back to work when I was in middle school and hasn’t stopped since. She has always made sure her kids were always well taken care of and would sooner not eat anything than to see her kids walk away from the table hungry, like any good Italian mother would.  It made her happy to see us happy. As a mom now myself, I know that feeling well and it’s a great feeling!

    So when I think of the best in me, I think of my mom. It’s her I have to thank for awakening and cultivating in me the desire to help, serve and make others happy. And I can see it alive and continuing in my own daughters! We are creating ripples of love that go out in all directions! What better legacy could a mother leave?!   Happy Birthday 70th Mom! I love you!!






No comments:

Post a Comment