Wednesday, September 3, 2014

"C" is for Conduit

C is for Conduit

I wanted to challenge myself to write about my conversion, crack in my cosmic egg and coexisting and I chickened out! How’s that for some “C” words? 

But, then I asked for helped and reached out. My dear friends gave me some great advice about being truthful writing from heart and creating a trusting relationship with the reader.  And that’s how I feel about writing, so I get that. I feel like I share this part of myself with all of you. It feels very intimate to me, so I was hesitant to ruffle any feathers and have what I write make people feel uncomfortable.  But, honestly being uncomfortable is not necessarily a bad thing, especially not if it allows us to see things from a different perspective.

So, as I was about to close Facebook today, I took a look at a video my mom had posted about a new movie coming out called Holy Ghost. In it, Michael W Smith says quite fittingly that he want 2 things in life: One is to never be offended again by anyone and the other is that he wants to be an open conduit for the Holy Spirit.   And then I heard my new “C” word: Conduit. 

You see although I am not a card carrying born again Christian anymore, Michael W Smith and I agree completely. I also want to not be offended, (Jesus actually told us not to be!) and I want to be an open conduit for the holy spirit to use.  The difference being that I no longer believe that believing in the gospel of salvation and asking Christ into my heart is the only way to do that. 

I see God’s spirit as the essence of everything since everything came from God, we really can’t be anything but divine by our very nature. If God was all there was and then God created something, what did God use to create? So, for me it follows that God is actually alive through us and the holy spirit we all are talking about is God. No need for a trinity. It’s ALL God!  So, yes Spirit/God is within all of us, within everything.  We are spiritual being experiencing the physical and for those purposes we have the dichotomies of life to deal with, but we are filled with the same spirit that filled Jesus and we can walk daily recognizing that relationship just as Jesus did. He said, “The Father and I are One.”  But, Jesus wasn’t the great exception.  He wasn’t the only one who has that access to God. I believe Jesus was the great example, trying to show us the way. 

Jesus was a master teacher, yes. But, how short sited would it be to think God spoke to us one time, 2000 years ago and that’s all he had to say?  We have much to learn from many of the great teachers including Buddha, who would tell us to question everything, even what he says! Now that to me is a master teacher. One who teaches you to think for yourself, not tells you what to think. 

As I got older, I began to respect many of the things I read in other religious texts. I began to open the box I had put God in.  I let myself question my long held beliefs and listened very closely to my heart.  I knew how to tell if I was on the right track. Peace. Peace has always been my gage. Peace and the fruit.  You WILL know them by their fruit. And I began to see that God worked in the lives of many people...not just Christians. God was alive all over the planet, not just in the King James version of the bible. We are ALL the hands and feet of God. Living in that place of daily recognition of this fact is what heaven really is. So, wouldn’t hell be the opposite of that? Hell is forgetting that connection and believing that there is a separation from God.  Now this made sense to me.  

We are all conduits.  No one of us is more special than the other. None is more worthy of God’s love. No one has to do anything to receive what is already a part of who you are. Seeing the connection between all of us and God makes it so easy for me to see my neighbor as myself.  What if we all lived from that place of seeing God in each other? Wow. Imagine that. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Hun! I love you and how supportive you are!!
    It felt good to write. I decided I didn't need to cover everything right this very second either. I'm going to let it unfold naturally. That took some pressure off and allowed me to take a step back and just share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems you wrote exactly what you needed to. I don't think sharing your journey will bring you any negativity if people are reading with openness and love. It isn't about me or us -- it's about you and what you are living. I'm glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete